IoT Testing- An Inside Perspective
Internet of Things Testing has taken the world by storm. It has never been this important. The effect of the internet of things is undoubtedly heavier than one can imagine. In fact, this technology wave is coming, which is unstoppable and impacting the manner in which people live, think, and work. This is impacting just everything around people.
Facts about IoT Testing
IoT testing, simply put, is a form of testing for checking IoT devices. This is an era that demands faster and better services. There is an enormous need to access, use, create, and share data from just any device. Thus, the thrust is in offering greater control and insight, over different interconnected IoT devices. In short, the framework of IoT testing is crucial.
6 Broad IoT Testing Types
Testing for the internet of things devices broadly revolves across platforms and standards, operating systems, processors, networks, device, analytics, and security.
Let’s take a look at the six broad IoT testing types,
- Usability Testing- Today, users utilize multiple shapes and form factors devices. Further, the perception too differs from user to user. No wonder checking the system’s usability is crucial in IoT testing.
- Reliability & Scalability Testing- This is of utmost significance to build an IoT test environment that includes simulation of sensors via using virtualization technologies and tools.
- Compatibility Testing- Often several devices cannot be connected with the help of an IoT system. They have different hardware and software configurations. Thus the possible combination is immense. Owing to this, checking the IoT system’s compatibility is crucial.
- Data Integrity Testing-In IoT testing, checking the data integrity is vital as this includes a huge amount of data and its application.
- Performance Testing- This again plays a pivotal role in creating strategic approach to develop and implement the IoT testing plan.
- Security testing- Several users in an IoT environment access a huge amount of data. Hence, it is significant in validating user via authentication and includes data privacy control as part and parcel of security testing.
Impact of IoT Testing Across Industries
The need for the internet of things is to overcome challenges that most nations today are facing, and its promise lies in helping improve outcomes through IoT testing. Take a look at its impact across different industries.
- Agriculture- While conducting IoT testing in the field of agriculture, it will ensure better use of resources such as water and fertilizers, and one can easily fulfill the needs of supply and demand.
- Healthcare- In the healthcare domain, effective IoT testing will offer on-demand health maps and deliver better emergency & disaster recovery.
- Smart Living- IoT testing in a smart living will ensure better quality life coupled with improved safety benefits.
- Transportation- IoT testing will help to manage traffic intelligently in the transportation sector.
- Environment- Here, one can monitor air quality and get confirmations regarding better waste management.
- Government- In the government sector, IoT testing can help one get an accurate information for better decision-making and improve one’s transparency and accountability.
Sneak Peek into the Top 3 IoT Testing Tools
IoT testing tools are of different types, of which the top 3 are as follows,
- Shodan- This tool is used for discovering which device has been connected online. It is basically a search engine that helps track internet-connected devices and if they are not secure. This IoT testing tool can assist cyber-security professionals in protecting enterprises, public utilities, and individuals from cyber-attacks.
- JTAG Dongle- This helps to debug target platform codes and also show the variables effectively step by step.
- Wireshark- This open-source application is utilized to sniff the IoT traffic network behavior, especially in the destination/source addresses and interface.
IoT has indeed added a new stage of digital intelligence to various devices, hence building connected and smart apps for supporting multiple facets of customer services. To offer a better and satisfying user experience, good IoT testing is crucial for the flawless functioning of the three core components of IoT- data (that requires to be processed as well as analyzed), communication (amid devices), and equipment.