For many years, India relied upon wood and kerosene oil to be used as cooking fuel. However, a huge transformation was made with the introduction of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG). it is now one of the most widely used cooking gas in the country, which is a lot cheaper and cleaner than the traditional cooking oils. LPG is a mix of hydrocarbon gases that are flammable. Getting a new gas connection is an easy task if one is informed and aware of the various options available to them by the government, in order to make this task easier for them.
Benefits of LPG over other cooking fuels
Since LPG has made it very easy to get a new gas connection, there are many reasons for its success as cooking fuel.
- It is safe and the environment- friendly.
- It is less costly and a lot cleaner than wood or kerosene.
- Easy storage
- For the protection of the ozone layer, LPG is used as a fuel in vehicles too, which is rapidly replacing the Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
- It is an energy-rich fuel
- LPG gives an efficient combustion
- It has a higher calorific value than other commonly used gases for cooking purposes.
- It is easily available with the help of a comprehensive distributor network.
Every year, the government of India subsidizes the cost of a fixed number of cylinders, which is affordable by everyone, ensuring the use of LPG in every household.
LPG Cylinder providers
There are mainly three major LPG cylinder providers across the nation, which are run by large corporations. These are –
- Bharat Gas, which is run by Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- HP gas (Hindustan Petroleum gas) which is run by the Hindustan Petroleum Company Limited (HPLC).
- Indane gas, handled by the Indian Oil Corporation.
Documents required for getting a new gas connection
In order to get a new LPG gas connection in India, the applicant must carry the below-mentioned documents along with an application form.
- Passport-sized photographs
- Aadhar card
- Driving license
- Electricity bill, water bill, bank passbook or any other residential proof.
- Ration card
- Rental or lease agreement
- Voter ID card
- Employer’s certificate
A fee of getting a new gas connection
For all those applicants who are registering for the first time, in order to get a new gas connection, they need to pay for the new gas cylinder, as well as the processing charges along with the cost of the regulator. The cost of each cylinder varies with the size of the cylinder, such as the cost of a 2.3 Kg cylinder is Rs. 2,765 and for a 37.5 Kg cylinder, the cost is of Rs. 9,185. An additional fee of Rs. 150 to Rs. 190 is to be given for the pressure valve, which varies for each LPG supplier.
Methods of application for getting a new gas connection
There are various modes of the application when it comes to getting a new gas connection.
- Online application
It is considered to be one of the easiest and fastest methods of getting a new LPG connection. All that is needed is to visit the website of any of the three LPG providers (HP/ Bharat gas/ Indane). once the website opens, the applicant needs to fill the online application form with correct details. Once completed and verified, the applicant will receive a confirmation on their registered mobile number.
- Registration via SMS
If the user is already registered, then all that is required is to type LPG and send the SMS to phone numbers that are different for all the three LPG providers. Once this is done a confirmation will be sent via SMS on the same re