Introduction– “Internet of Things” is the latest buzzword in the technological world. Although the term is almost about 2 decades old, it is lately that the whole concept has garnered most attention. In this article we will list down the top IoT devices that are bringing a 360 degree change to how things were done before this technology was put to use.
What is Internet of things? – Internet of things can be defined as a network of devices or physical objects which are connected via internet. These devices can be a person with a heart monitor or an automobile with sensors. In short, IoT can be any object that is assigned an IP address and can receive and send data.
History– Internet of things may have become popular in the recent years, but the terminology dates back to as early as 1999. The credit of coining this phrase goes to Kevin Ashton, co-founder of MIT’s Auto-ID Center (IoT-analytics.com). The concept of IoT was not officially named until 1999. The Coca Cola machine was one of the first things to use IoT in 1980s.
By 2013, Internet of things had caught up speed and was being used in multiple ways. For example, it was used from internet to wireless communication, from micro-electromechanical systems to embedded systems. Many other fields like automation, wireless sensor networks, control systems, GPS, and many others support IoT. In simplest terms, any device which has on/off switch, when connected to the internet can be termed as “Internet of things”.
Moving on to the IoT devices, vendors are coming up with more and more innovative devices which allow you to do things differently and play around like a pro! Be it your car maintenance, or ordering and re-ordering some stuff, you got hands on everything you can think about.
- Ring– IOT is here to sweep you off your feet, with its inventions getting better and better. Let’s talk about the smart ring doorbell. I found this to be one of the most useful stuff till date. What it does? And how does it work? To begin with, this ring doorbell alerts you through your smart phone when any kind of motion is detected or there are visitors at your door while you are away. You can rest assured about the safety and security of your house as long as this ring is there. Through this you can communicate with the person at the door and also take video footage to keep things under control. So, no more suspected visitors around your home while you are away. Isn’t it a very smart thing to do?
- Smart Pillow– Internet of things has not left any aspect of your life untouched. Talking about the smart pillow, sleeping is now a smart thing to do, thanks to IoT devices.The pillow comes with inbuilt memory foam with moisture-winking fabric, sports vigorous number of features. The pillow detects snoring and gently goes into vibration to change your sleeping position. It is also capable of detecting snoring decibels and also gives a report on sleep quality through your smart phone of course. You can also play wireless music and set smart alarm to wake you at intervals to ensure optimal sleep. So,what are you waiting for, make sleeping smart with this smart pillow.
- Temperature control coffee maker– If you are a coffee lover, the only way to kick start your day is with a mug of perfectly made coffee, then you should read on. You can connect to the machine using Wi-Fi and adjust any parameter as you like. For instance, you can adjust the temperature controls, pre-soaking the coffee beans, and also the brewing cycle. The coffee maker sends notification through your smart phone when the coffee is ready.
- Smart Thermostat– One of the popular pieces and with utmost utility, is the smart thermostat. The device takes into account the family’s routine and automatically adjusts the temperature taking into consideration your sleep routine, the time at which the family wakes up, hot or cold, in order to keep the home temperature most accurate. At the same time it helps in saving heating and cooling bills. With the help of app one can easily edit the schedules and adjust the temperature. What’s more? The device is capable of sending notifications to your phone in case something goes wrong with the heating/cooling system.
- Smart Lock– The IoT devices are not leaving any stone unturned, when it comes to living the smart way. One more addition to the smart way of life is the smart lock, after which you will not need keys to unlock the door ever again. The device is capable of locking automatically when you get home. You can use codes to open the door, grant guest keys to friends, and also view the activity and give access using the smart phone. Such systems ensure maximum safety and at the same time are cool to use.
As per market estimates the number of IoT devices is estimated to be 50 million by the year 2020 (datamation.com)
So, a very happy IoT era to everyone!