Tantalum is a rare, hard, highly corrosion-resistant metal that is used in many industrial applications. Recently, spherical tantalum powder becomes a popular material for 3D printing. This article describes its properties and applications in this sector.
What Is 3D Printing Powder?
3D printing, or additive manufacturing (AM),gained increasing popularity. This method creates three-dimensional objects layer by layer under computer control and is widely used in healthcare and other fields.
3D printing powder is very important in the whole manufacturing process. They can be used in all important areas of 3D printing, including binder jetting, powder bed fusion, sheet metal lamination, and directed energy deposition. These powders must meet the following requirements:
- Particle size distribution (PSD): Smaller particles are preferred as they can form thinner and more delicate layers.
- Morphology: Regularly shaped powder particles with smooth surfaces are preferred FOR better-packed particles and harder components.
- Fluidity: To form a uniform powder layer, powder with high fluidity is preferred.
What Are the Advantages of Spherical Tantalum Powder?
Spherical tantalum powder shares the following advantages with tantalum metal.
- Excellent thermal performance: Tantalum has a high melting point of 2996°C and excellent thermal conductivity, making it ideal for high-temperature applications.
- Excellent chemical stability: Tantalum is highly corrosion resistant and can withstand harsh chemicals and environments.
- High Density: Tantalum has a high density of 16.6 g/cm3, making it popular for applications requiring a high mass-to-volume ratio.
Additionally, spherical tantalum powders exhibit several properties including excellent flowability, uniform particle size distribution, etc.
How Is Tantalum Spherical Powder Used in 3D Printing?
Tantalum Spherical Powder can be used in various applications in the field of 3D printing.
1. Medical Implants
Tantalum is also biocompatible, making it an ideal material for medical implants. Spherical tantalum powder can be utilized to create custom implants for a patient’s specific needs.
2. Aerospace Components
Tantalum’s high melting point and excellent corrosion resistance make it useful in aerospace applications that withstand harsh environments and extreme temperatures. Spherical tantalum powder can be applied to make parts such as rocket nozzles and turbine blades.
Spherical tantalum powder features a high melting point, corrosion resistance, high density, uniform particle size, large surface area, and excellent flow properties. It is also applied to medical implants and aerospace components. Advanced Refractory Metal (ARM)is a leading supplier of high-quality spherical tantalum powder. If you are interested, please visit our homepage.