More and more people are looking for decent citizenship by investment program (CIP), allowing them to obtain a second passport in a quick and painless way. There are many such programs offered in different countries, and one of them is Portugal residence by investment. Applying for the program is possible from here, but before you do this, it is essential to find out at least basic info about the program, including the requirements and opportunities.
Basic Info about the Portugal Citizenship by Investment Program
The so-called Golden Visa program was launched in Portugal in 2012, and today, it is a pretty popular CIP among people from different countries. Its main advantages are simplicity and minimum requirements, which are searched by many investors.
Initially, there were several investing options mainly related to capital investment. A few changes were applied to the program in 2015, adding also investing in real estate as an option to obtain the residency in the country. The new option has attracted the attention of lots of investors since it is considered to be safe.
Apart from a favorable warm climate and amazing culture, you will also enjoy the following main benefits of getting Portuguese citizenship by the CIP:
- Visa-free entrance to Portugal and a range of Schengen countries;
- The right to live permanently in the country and get a job or engage in other activity for earning money;
- Adding members of your family to your application so that they could get the same rights;
- Minimum requirements to stay in the country;
- No need to learn a local language first.
Requirements to Obtain a Portugal Passport
If you are a non-EU citizen, you can apply for the program based on the following requirements:
- Your golden visa investment funds in Portugal are not generated in Portugal;
- You have no criminal record;
- You are capable of paying required fees;
- Your property has not been frozen in the EU;
- You can visit Portugal based on a Schengen visa;
- You are ready to stay in the country as long as it is required (at least a week for the first year, at least two weeks for the next two years).
Choosing the Right Option to Obtain a Portugal Residency
Today, there are two basic options to consider when it comes to getting a Portugal passport by the CIP:
- Investing in a property;
- Capital investment.
Let’s have a closer look at both options.
Investing in a Property
It is one of the most popular ways to obtain a Portugal residency. You are required to invest at least €350,000 in one of the objects that were built over 30 years ago and are located in the cultural-historical heritage regions. Another option is to invest over €500,000 in any real estate project and do not sell the property for at least five years.
The other options you can use in order to become a resident of Portugal include the following:
- Buying securities of local companies for at least €1,000,000;
- Investing at least €350,000 in research activities;
- Getting shares of investments funds for at least €500,000;
- Investing in the reconstruction of Portuguese heritage objects;
- Establishing a company and creating ten or more jobs.
What to Choose to Obtain Portugal Residency?
There are both advantages and disadvantages of any investment option you can choose for obtaining citizenship in the country, and it is recommended to compare them.
For instance, when it comes to investing in securities of private companies, you can get a fixed return on investment without the need to bother with property management. Investors in different funds do not have to pay a range of fees typical for those investing in real estate, as well as taxes, on return on investments. On the other hand, the minimum required amount for investing in different funds is greater compared to investing in real-estate projects, and the latter option is considered to be safer.