Moving PODS and moving companies are both excellent ways to make moving a little bit easier and less stressful. But what exactly are the differences between them, and which one should you choose?
What are Moving PODS?
Odds are you know what moving companies are, but what about moving PODS? ‘PODS’ actually stands for ‘Portable On-Demand Storage’ – and is essentially a sizeable rented metal container that you can use to pack all the things that you want to move.
The containers come in various sizes and are typically weather-resistant as well as impact-resistant. If you do rent PODS, it will be delivered to you, and once you’re done packing, the company will pick it up and deliver it to the destination.
Pros of Moving PODS
Renting out moving PODS is far more beneficial than most people realize. Some of its advantages are:
- More cost-efficient compared to moving companies, and the price will typically vary based on the size of the container.
- It will let you work based on your schedule, seeing as you usually ‘rent out’ the container monthly, which will give you quite a bit of flexibility at no extra charge.
- It can be used as storage if you want to keep your items safely. If you wish, you could even ask the moving PODS company to transport the container to a storage facility.
- There is no need to rent or drive a truck seeing as the container will be transported to the destination once you’re finished packing it.
Cons of Moving PODS
Although moving PODS has a lot going for them, there are some areas in which they do fall short. Some of the main disadvantages that you should know about are:
- Limit accessibility to items once they’re placed in the container – until it is unloaded at the destination.
- DIY loading and unloading can be a lot of work for a large scale move. Some moving PODS companies may offer some assistance as a premium service.
- It can be difficult to find a place to put the container while loading and unloading, especially as it will have to be there for some time.
Pros of Moving Companies
Of course, as much as moving PODS has advantages, moving companies do too. Some of the areas in which they have the edge are:
- Much less work and no heavy lifting is required when you’ve hired a full-service moving company. Their experts are trained and will handle everything.
- Moving supplies will be provided by the moving company, including things like moving straps, dollies, moving blankets, and so on.
- It is easier to access your stuff since they’ll be packed separately by the moving company.
- The move will be completed more quickly with experienced professionals handling the packing, moving, and unloading.
Cons of Moving Companies
While the services that moving companies provide are attractive, there are some drawbacks that you need to know about as well – such as:
- You’ll have less control over your move and won’t be able to determine how your items are moved and loaded.
- The cost can be expensive, especially compared to other options. It is based on the total weight, distance, and the number of movers that are hired.
Comparing Moving Companies to Moving PODS
Moving PODS is a more cost-efficient and convenient option when you’re moving – provided you’re okay with the DIY approach. If you aren’t, hiring a moving company that will handle the grunt work is definitely more attractive.
Keep in mind that moving companies will also provide all the moving supplies that are required, and get the job done faster as well. On the other hand, with moving PODS, you’ll have to find the supplies you need on your own, and the speed that you pack will probably be much slower than experienced and professional movers.
If you do decide to go with a professional moving company rather than moving PODS, you should check out Tierney Van Lines as they were voted the best new moving company of 2020. As you can see both moving companies, as well as moving PODs, have different pros and cons. It really isn’t about which option is ‘better,’ but rather which one you feel will fit your needs.