You have heard the news that a home in your neighborhood got ransacked by burglars and lost a considerable amount of money and valuables. You suddenly questioned the security of your home and planned to improve it. The good thing is, there are already lots of 24 hour locksmith near me services you can call anytime for help.
Based on the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics, property crimes like burglary, car theft, and robbery have substantially declined in the past few years. However, there were still more than 325,000 households that are burglarized annually. The statistics also showed that property crimes cost an estimated $14.3 billion in losses in 2015.
Tips on Improving Your Home Security
Being victimized by burglars and thieves can result in considerable losses to your finances. To minimize the possibility of being attacked, you should take the necessary precautions to discourage criminals from targeting your home. Here are some suggestions to make your abode more secure:
- Make it a habit to double-check if your doors and windows are already locked – Every time you go out or go to bed, check if all your doors and windows are secure. Even if you consider your neighborhood very safe, do not be complacent about the security of your home. Always ensure that you have replaced broken locks, and contact a dependable locksmith to check that you have every door and window secured. Always adopt a proactive attitude to avoid being victimized.
- Install a security system – There are already plenty of affordable home security products in the market, so make sure to use one in your home. The use of these devices may be one of the reasons why property crimes significantly dropped in the later years. A sound security system can deter even the most determined criminals. Check out Mega Systems Security, one of the top-rated agency to get your security system installed. And, if you are not sure what security system will work for you, do check 24/7 alarm monitoring by Vivint before you make your final decision.
- Consider getting a dog as crime deterrence – Dogs are one of the best animals you can get to protect your home. These pets are very alert, and criminals will surely be scared of their barks. You should also post “Beware of Dog” stickers around your premises to scare off criminals.
- Ensure you have pepper spray – Pepper sprays are considered to be one the best lifesavers when it comes to personal attack no matter whether you are walking on a street or laying down on your bed – this ultimate weapon is highly recommended. Ensure you have the best pepper spray for home defense to avoid after incident regret.
- Repair broken locks immediately – Conduct regular inspection on all your locks and replace defective ones at once. Also, make sure your replaced lock is of premium quality to ensure its effectiveness. You can seek the help of 24-hour locksmith near me service to install your locks. One of the advantages of hiring these locksmiths is their availability at any time of the day. You should replace your locks immediately if you lose the keys.
- Make your abode occupied while you are away – Install timers for your lights and radio to switch them on to make it seem like you are at home. Criminals who are looking for potential victims avoid occupied houses.
- Trim trees and shrubs around your home regularly – You should maintain your yard periodically and cut trees located near your windows. Criminals may hide in bushes or use the trees to enter your home.
- Consider ensuring your valuables – Getting insurance for your valuable assets will bring you peace of mind. Even if you got victimized, you could still avoid huge losses if your properties are insured.
By adopting a safety-first mindset, you will minimize the possibility of being victimized by criminals. You can also bolster the security of your home by seeking the help of reputable and skilled professionals for services like security system installation. you can also check this guide from PhenomSecurity.com.